Thursday, December 20, 2012

An Open Letter to my fellow Parents United at 4th

I regret that business obligations will keep me away from the SRC Meeting tomorrow. I’ve just gotten off the phone with Pierre, one of our parents and he’s promised to keep me informed when (and if) a decision happens tomorrow. I had signed up to speak at the November meeting, in which we all know the decision was canceled at the last minute, (literally). I know I'm not the only one who really can't take the suspense anymore.

I also never thought my message of the primacy of academic excellence was unique to me. But it seemed earlier this year that what we as parents desired had become confused by people who spoke for us in the absence of our own voices. Well, we have spoken up, clearly and with purpose about the reasons to preserve Lab Charter. Our Board of Trustees has heard us. The School Reform Commission and the Philadelphia School District have heard us.

Parents stepped up at SRC and Lab Charter Board Meetings. So when we were offered an opportunity to engage on a decision-making level, I submitted my resume.

I won’t pretend that I wasn’t disappointed that another parent was chosen for the Board of Trustees position. But our board’s single most urgent task ahead is the preservation of the school’s unique academic culture without direction from the “Main Line” office. The Board recognized this when it formed a crucial educational subcommittee this month.

It chose its newest member well and wisely. Twanna Mae, as an educator AND a parent, was and is the best most logical choice. I guess I shouldn’t be amazed that she wasn’t even the only candidate with compelling education credentials. This month’s Board of Trustees meeting underscored what I always suspected, that parents in the know, teacher-parents in the know, seek out Laboratory Charter for the best education in the city.

Lab Charter is unique, not just among public schools, but among charter schools. There is a growing academic industry that is competing for public school dollars. There’s a lot of money being made out there and lots of debate as to whether large scale for-profit corporations put our children first and give parents a real stake in their education. There have also been plenty of scandals surrounding charter programs that promised much but deliver little.

Lab Charter always delivered and is now (hopefully) ending a painful period in which it was nearly destroyed by the profit motive of a few individuals. I’d hate to see it go through this now, only to be absorbed by another larger, for-profit corporation in the future. By staying small, independent and focused on the education of our children, Lab Charter may not be the only solution to the school crisis in this city, but it is one of the best ones. It works.

If I am asked to submit my resume again in June for board consideration, I will do this gladly. A few months make no difference in my willingness to serve such an effective and worthwhile leader in the future of our children's education.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to the students, teachers and parents of Laboratory Charter School. I and my family are blessed to be part of this community.

No comments:

Post a Comment